The Art and Change Grant (ACG) provides grants of up to $2,500 to fund art for social change projects by women, trans*, and/or gender nonconforming artists and cultural producers living in Greater Philadelphia.
Donor Name: Leeway Foundation
County: Bucks County (PA), Camden County (PA), Chester County (PA), Delaware County (PA), Montgomery County (PA), or Philadelphia County (PA)
Type of Grant: Grant
Size of the Grant: $2,500
Leeway supports artists and cultural producers involved in art for social change that positively affects and engages communities and audiences. Creating social change must be integral to the ideas, beliefs, and goals that are woven throughout your art and your process of creating and sharing your art.
Impact of Art with Vision
Art for social change is art with a vision and an intentional analysis. It is an artistic or creative cultural practice that may operate in traditional or nontraditional mediums, modes, or disciplines. Art with a vision impacts people in many ways. It can:
- Raise consciousness
- Alter how they think about themselves, their society, or their culture
- Create a vision of a more just world
- Be a tool or strategy for organizing and movement building
- Preserve or reclaim traditional cultural practices using your artistic practice as a form of resistance or empowerment
- Create space for expression and build a sense of community
- Challenge racism, classism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, ageism, ableism, or other oppressions
- Question mainstream culture and beliefs
- Shift or transform the perception of power and/or privilege and the dynamics associated with justice, equality, and/or accountability
- Value healing justice practices focused on strengthening communities, not just individuals
- Engage and utilize a reciprocal process — where there is teaching and learning simultaneously and the consent for engagement is mutual, as is the benefit for yourself as an artist and the community you are engage.
- The Art and Change Grant annual limit per individual artist is $2,500.
- Art and Change Grant applicants may apply for the Leeway Transformation Award and/or the Window of Opportunity Grant in the same year.
- If you receive a Transformation Award, you may not apply for the Art and Change Grant for the next two years, and you may not apply for the Window of Opportunity grant or a residency during your award year
- You are eligible to apply if you:
- Have lived for the past two years or more in Bucks, Camden, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery, or Philadelphia County
- Are at least 18 years old
- Identify as a woman and/or trans* person
- Have been creating art for social change for the past five years or more
For more information, visit Leeway Foundation.