Donor Name: Spirit of St. Louis Women’s Fund
State: Missouri and Illinois
County: Selected Counties
City: St. Louis
Type of Grant: Grant
Size of the Grant: $100,000
Grant Duration: Three years
SOS Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- SOS is committed to equity, diversity, collaboration, inclusiveness, transparency, and accountability because all people deserve to live full and abundant lives free of prejudice, discrimination and oppression.
- They will prioritize diversity, equity and inclusion in their philanthropy.
- Diversity means full participation of all individuals regardless of race, ethnicity, gender orientation, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, ability, citizenship status, language, religion, geographic location, and national origin, among other identities.
- Equity recognizes that each person has different circumstances and allocates the exact resources and opportunities needed to reach an equitable outcome.
- Inclusion creates a culture and environment for diverse individuals to bring their authentic and full selves. Inclusion results when underrepresented people are seen as fully belonging in a community.
Grants are not restricted to issues dealing exclusively with women, but are made to organizations focusing on at least one of the following areas:
- Arts and Culture
- Social Services
- Single-year grants of $5,000 – $25,000 are awarded to nonprofit organizations in the Greater St. Louis community.
- In the 2022-2023 granting cycle, SOS will be investing in one, renewable, three year accelerator grant for $33,333 a year, totaling $100,000. The application can be for a specific project or for general operating support.
Applicants are encouraged to submit Letters of Inquiry for general operating support, project/program support, and capacity building. Capacity building strengthens the development of an organization’s core skills and capabilities, such as leadership, management, finance/fund-raising, programs, and evaluation, in order to build the organization’s effectiveness and sustainability.
- The application can be for a specific project or for general operating support.
- Organizations that apply for multi-year grants must:
- Demonstrate a history of successful programming and financial stability
- Show collaboration with other agencies
- Exhibit strong leadership in board and organizational management
- Have a clear multi-year plan that is visionary, meets an urgent community need and significantly enhances the applicant organization’s ability to serve their mission into the future
- Demonstrate how having consistent funding will allow your agency to think big and take chances
- Have specific and numerically measurable project goals, objectives/actions and outcomes/impact described for each year
- Include a three year budget:
- If applying for a project include a separate project budget for each year
- If applying for general operating support, submit the organization’s budget for the current year and two subsequent years
- Have the option to include up to 2 additional supporting documents such as an Annual Report or Strategic Plan
- Organizations that have received single-year SOS grants for the past two consecutive years CAN apply for a multi-year grant. However, organizations applying for a multi-year grant CANNOT apply for an SOS single-year grant in the same grant cycle.
Grant Applicant Requirements
- To be considered for SOS grant funding, organizations MUST:
- Have public charity status under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code issued to an organization located in the Greater St. Louis Community
- Have an operating budget of less than $1.5 million
- Be headquartered and provide services within the Greater St. Louis Community which includes the City of St. Louis and/or the following counties: St. Louis, St. Charles, Jefferson and Franklin in Missouri or St. Clair, Madison and Monroe in Illinois (Organizations can provide services outside this specific area but SOS will only fund the services provided to the Greater St. Louis Community)
For more information, visit SSLWF.