Donor Name: S.H. Cowell Foundation
County: Selected Counties
Type of Grant: Grant
The Foundation’s primary grantmaking strategy is place-based. Its goal is to achieve more capable, responsive, and effective community organizations and institutions. Through the sustained, concerted efforts of those organizations, they expect community residents to realize benefits including:
- the healthy development and education of children
- the economic and social advancement of their families
- the opportunity to influence the conditions that shape their lives
- Cowell maintains three main grants programs and two supporting programs.
- Across all programs, the funding guidelines incorporate four themes:
- Racial Equity
- Economic Advancement
- Community Health
- Resident Voice & Agency
- Leadership & Organizational Health
- Communtiy Resources
- The community is located in Northern or Central California.
- The community is experiencing acute and widespread poverty, as evidenced by the number of students who qualify for free or reduced-price school lunch.
- The community has a strong “sense of place” that arises from factors such as location, history, and the shared goals and deep-rooted relationships among residents, community-based organizations, and educators.
- The community presents opportunities for investment in all the following program areas: Families, Education, and Youth.
- Community partners are advancing racial justice and equitable outcomes for people and communities of color.
- Local leaders demonstrate commitment to the community by championing issues and efforts beyond the scope of their own roles and agencies.
- They fund 501(c)3 non-profit organizations, public schools and school districts. They do not fund individual, partisan or religious projects.
For more information, visit S.H. Cowell Foundation.