The Claude Worthington Benedum Foundation is seeking applications for its Grant Program to encourage human development in West Virginia and Southwestern Pennsylvania through strategically placed charitable resources.
Donor Name: Claude Worthington Benedum Foundation
States: West Virginia and Pennsylvania
County: Selected Counties
Type of Grant: Grant
Deadline (mm/dd/yyyy): Ongoing
The Claude Worthington Benedum Foundation is a regional philanthropy focusing on West Virginia and Southwestern Pennsylvania. The Foundation generally invests two-thirds of its grant dollars in West Virginia and one-third in Southwestern Pennsylvania.
Funding Focus by Region
- West Virginia
- Economic Development
- Community Development
- Health & Human Services
- Southwestern Pennsylvania
- Economic Development
The following principles guide the Foundation’s grants programs in those regions:
- The Foundation honors Michael and Sarah Benedum’s belief in “helping people help themselves,” and they seek opportunities to cultivate the creativity of people and communities.
- The Foundation nurtures leadership within the communities they serve, and they participate in leadership when it adds value.
- The Foundation encourages planning, projects and programs that cross geographical and political boundaries so that access to services and economic growth is maximized.
- The Foundation expects collaboration among the public, private and nonprofit sectors in order to leverage the resources that each can bring to common concerns.
- The Foundation strives to advance innovative practices that demonstrate measurable and sustainable benefit.
- The Foundation seeks projects that contribute to advancement in public policy.
The Foundation generally does not make grants in support of:
- Organizations located outside West Virginia or Southwestern Pennsylvania
- Organizations not exempt from taxation under Internal Revenue Code Section 501(c)(3)
- Student aid, fellowships, or travel
- Construction or equipment
- Ongoing operating expenses
- National organizations
- Biomedical research
- Religious organizations for religious purposes
- Individual elementary and secondary schools
- Annual appeals or membership drives
- Conferences, films, books, and audio-visual productions, unless an integral part of a Foundation-supported program
For more information, visit Claude Worthington Benedum Foundation.